Friday, July 22, 2011

Miss Sri Lanka 2011

[Pushpika Sandamali De Silva]
by Nilma Dole
The beautiful and coy Pushpika Sandamali is a natural beauty with a warm heart and a good head above her shoulders. She is grounded and humble having a sweet smile showing the world that you don’t need to have a pretty face to look beautiful.
Hailing from the historical town of Polonnaruwa, Pushpika is the youngest in a family of five. Speaking on what inspired her to enter the Miss Sri Lanka pageant, she said, “Ever since I was a little girl, I dreamed of being a beauty queen.
“It was not because I wanted to compete with other beautiful girls but because I wanted to spread the message we are all beautiful in some way,” she said.
Starting her modelling career, Pushpika modelled after she finished schooling when she worked for Michael Wijesooriya.
“I gained plenty of experience in modelling by working for Michael and it was a good opportunity for me to learn more about what it required to be a confident participant in beauty pageants,” she said.
“What I want to tell the rural youth is that just because we are from the villages, it doesn’t mean that we don’t have what it takes to win a national pageant,” she said. Pushpika said that more often than not, there is this fear that those from far-flung places won’t be able to get a chance to represent the country internationally.
“I feel as though I set an example for those who fear this and I want to tell them that it’s not the modern beauty standards that make you win but it’s the natural beauty deep within, that would make you the winner,” she said.
The advice she gives young people who hope to take part in competitions is that they should be happy first.
“Just because you’re pretty doesn’t mean you can easily win a title. You have to be beautiful from inside and be kind, helpful and love others around you and this is the qualification that you deserve to take home the crown,” said Pushpika.
In addition Pushpika hopes that people don’t think that modern beauty such as highlighting hair, doing chemical facials and tatooing is appropriate. “The secret to my success at the Miss Sri Lanka beauty pageant is that I always eat healthily and consume only organic food, fresh from our garden in Polonnaruwa.
I exercise to keep in shape and I believe that it’s because of my positive attitude and genuine feelings towards people that I was made the winner,” she said.
Pushpika thanked everyone who supported her every step of the way including her parents, Michael Wijesooriya, Lakshitha, Derana and the Sunday Observer.
Pushpika is indeed an example for others to follow proving that you don’t need to go to extreme lengths to be beautiful but just be happy with yourself!

No comments:

Post a Comment