Monday, September 26, 2011

A different tale of another housemaid….

(Colombo Lankapuvath) After tiresome eight hour stagnation at the Sharjah International Airport, which seemed more endless than the most difficult days of my life, a story was thought to be penned. The tiresome eight hours I spend sitting ducks at an airport chair vanished into thin air, when a girl not more than 22 years revealed her story to me.

The words to type this story were flown to me on a flight home bound. The lives led by many of us are not valued for what it received. Troubles have not touched us, though some of us take the trouble, without trouble even sighting us, considering the meager daily wages received by many of the poverty stricken people of Sri Lanka, coming from the most rural parts of the country. The hardships experienced by many of them go unheard due to many reasons and those that we hear are the sand endings of many.

Unknowing my occupation, this young girl of 22 (as she mentioned) revealed her part of the story which was to my surprise, a complete contrast from all other ‘sand endings’ we have heard throughout the years. This however, did not seem to be ‘one sad story of a housemaid’ but what future beholds her is out of my reach to predict.

Cuddling shattered dreams of a broken love affair, she ends her studies at the age of 17, without completing her higher education crippling chances of perusing a better career in Sri Lanka., she prepare her departure from the country without the knowledge of her parents and siblings. A very outspoken young girl she was, walking around the airport inquiring for Sri Lankans who would accompany her on her journey back to her parents whom she left four years ago.

I could recall her actions to be very bubbly, as she started her story amidst my inquiries into her life. Unlike others, she was overwhelmed with treatment she received from her ‘Lady’ in Lebanon where she served for over 4 years though she was supposed to serve two years.

To me, it was personally very difficult to understand even the simplest word of Arabic spoken at the airport while she was well aware of each and every word. Flash back and forward movements were very frequent in her speech. At times, she would praise herself on her conduct in Lebanon and how she had won the hearts of many of the people. It was also unlikely how she criticized others of her same caliber by elevating herself. Her hand and heart were as cold as a North Pole Ice Berge. I felt at times her attitude towards men showed a bit of her characteristics.

The dialogue meant the hardship she has gone through has moulded her into a fine young lady who would want to raise a living for herself. The meager salary that she received over satisfied her, as she made several statements saying, “Mama Wage kellek Lankawe nathuwa athi akke”. According to her story she had bought a paddy land now cultivated by her father. However, she did not mention as to how much land she purchased. She has also bought a house which according to her needs a little bit of a ‘touch up’. The time was 1.15 am on Thursday 22 of September and while this story was being typed on my laptop in the aircraft, the young girl mentioned in the story sits a few seats behind me. And that is for my disappointment as for I could have gathered more information on her life.

However, accompanied by her for more than 3 hours, she mentioned that she was well looked after by the ‘Lady’ in Lebanon including the children. Medicine was brought to her when she needed it while food was given to meet her needs.  ‘I received a better salary than many others in Lebanon’ she would tell me, while at times she condemned the behaviour of other local women working in Lebanon. I am no one to judge her with her first speech, but there was so much light in her speech that made me believe her story.

She mentioned to me that her ‘Lady’ brought her food that she loved to eat and she had the freedom to do what she wanted. During my conversation with her, she said that she had several Sri Lankan friends there whom she associated with and according to her they lived sorrowful lives with pain and agony and were tortured by the ‘Ladies’ while physical harassment was also on their daily agenda.

And yes, isn’t so as we have heard the stories through in the print and electronic media, where housemaid are tortured and harassed.   The recent news that was heard was devastating where nails had been inserted to women since they did not understand what their Masters were demanding. For my amazement this young girl, had a total different story to say, as for her information she was treated as one of the family where she learnt all their customs. “The lady cried so much when I left her house this morning, and was waving to me till I went out of side at the airport” she said. ”A mother to me she was” and I felt sad to leave her too, but I have my parents so I made up mind” she went on.

Coming from a family of five children (two elder sisters, one elder brother and a younger brother) she had brought gifts to all of them, and was happily speaking about how she shopped for them and how much she spent on them. ‘I spent three notes to buy the toy, or it only cost me ten notes to buy the phone for my brother’ she would say to me.
The last thing she told me before we boarded the flight as we were to be seated in two different seats, was “Today I am coming to my country to see my parents same as I have left them.

However, there were others whom I heard whispering their stories to other housemaid who had gathered at the airport, from Jordan, Saudi Arabia, Kuwait and several other middle-east countries and the way I heard them, they were contrast as what my new friend at the airport had to say.

It is a humble hope and a gesture that we hear less sad endings and daring stories of housemaids who have faced agony in nations alien to them.

The young girl that I met wanted a better life for herself as any other ordinary girl would want. There was brightness in her eyes as she spoke of her future plans of a house, of kids and to be a caring mother while taking care of her parents. Innocent thought they were of a young girl and her thought and will were strong. I would not know how her life would be in another 2 or 3 years, but I pray that she lives a happy and healthy life.

By Shanika Pitigala at Sharjah Airport

No comments:

Post a Comment